Sunday, July 5, 2009

O.B.D. 2

In its day, the Salvation Army, or the Sally Ann, as it is affectionately called, has reached countless people with the message of the gospel, and has had the satisfaction of seeing many people experience complete life and soul transformation as a result of their efforts. One of those people was a man known as the Puncher, a notorious prize fighter (bare knuckle) and drunk.


It was the Puncher's idea to have revival meetings in London's East Side - he and other men equally infamous, but now redeemed, decided to have a parade with themselves as the spectacle to lure in the crowds. Since they had been so well-known in their past lives of debauchery, they knew people would take the bait if for no other reason then burning curiosity. You needn't think this was an easy thing for any of them to do. They feared the threat of the mob, and for the safety of their families (in the early days of the Salvation Army, it was as common to take a brick to the head as to see a penitent kneel at the drumhead).


But as the Puncher said, "God has done a lot for us, we oughten't to mind doing a bit for Him."


So, they did it - they paraded through the worst streets of the East Side. The parade drew a crowd to the meeting hall, and in that crowd was O.B.D. and his wife, who had actually already been invited to the meeting by the Angel Adjutant. At the service, those former toughs all gave their testimonies - testimonies of their sinful past lives and how God had miraculously changed them. One of those toughs was a man simply known as Joe, the Criminal, a hardened thief of the first order.


When the service was over, the altar, or penitent form, was crowded with seekers. O.B.D. and his wife were among them. The Angel Adjutant went over to him as he knelt there weeping. All he could say through his tears was, "Oh, I want to be like Joe!"


And he got his prayer answered. He later told the Angel Adjutant, "While I was listening to Joe, thinking of what he's been, and seeing what he's become, all of a sudden it took me that I'd find God and get Him to make me like Joe. It took me like that. I just felt, all of a sudden, determined to find God. Determined! And," he continued, "while I was kneeling, while I was praying, I felt the Spirit of God come upon me. I said, 'Oh, God, make me like Joe!' and while I prayed, I felt the spirit come upon me. I knew I could become like Joe. I know I'm saved."


He was quite emphatic. But, the Adjutant, knowing his condition, how saturated his body was with booze, feared for the stability of his salvation. She was very anxious for him to get work other than the work he did delivering papers to the local pubs and taverns. O.B.D.'s wife, who had also gotten saved that night, was also concerned for her husband. O.B.D, however, proved decidedly stubborn.


"I don't want anything else," he told them, "I must show them that I am converted."


And show them he did. In the weeks ahead, O.B.D stuck to his guns, and whenever the Adjutant asked him if he felt the least bit tempted, he would simply reply, "The appetite has gone."


One Saturday afternoon, O.B.D went to deliver his papers to a very crowded ale-house. One of his old drinking buddies saw him and exclaimed, "Hullo, God strike me dead, if this isn't Old Born Drunk! Come here, daddy; I'll stand you a pot. We'll wet the Salvation Army!" When the pot of ale was brought, he shoved it toward O.B.D., "Here, drink you old----!"
O.B.D shook his head.
"Come, drink it, like a man! What's a pot to you? Gallons is your mark. Drink it!"
"No."
"Look here, daddy; you're poor aren't you?"
"Yes."
"Got the missus and the kid to feed?"
"Yes."
"A bob'd make a lot of difference to you, wouldn't it? See here, daddy; I'll give you a bob straight, I will - ah, honor bright - if you'll drink this pot. Smell it. Smell it, old ----. Ain't it good? Come along, drink it and earn a bob.
"Not me."
"You won't?"
"No."
"Not for a bob?"
"Not for a thousands."
"You mean it?"
"Yes."
"Then have it outside," and with that the mocker threw the whole pot of beer into O.B.D's face.

To be continued...
(Don't you just love me? ;-D )

No comments:

Post a Comment