Sunday, June 21, 2009

To Whom It May Concern

Writing this first entry feels remarkably like stepping off a cliff. I have no idea if this blog will "go" anywhere, and I strongly suspect that many people will see me as precious more than a crack-pot. Yet for all that, I must try - I must try to reach out to the people for whom I have been concerned about for so many years.

I'm talking about those people whom our culture honors as stars and celebrities.

There is hardly a day goes by but what I pray for those of you who make up the world of stardom. It's a little weird praying for people you don't know, but I can't help it. I read about your lives in books and slick magazines - magazines that I can't be sure if a 1/4 of what is printed in them is true - and my heart breaks. Your lives seem so chaotic and empty, in spite of all the wealth and fame that you have attained. With great interest I follow you through your chaotic, empty, glamorous lives, and then so often I read the news of your untimely deaths, and my heart breaks again.

So, this blog is my attempt to reach you before I read of any more untimely deaths...,or any deaths timely or otherwise. Chances are that you folk, whom I hope will read this blog , never will read it or know that it exists. If you do read it, chances are you will roll your eyes at it, and dismiss me as another star-obsessed nut job. I assure you I am not crazy or star-obsessed. I am doing what I'm doing because of something I have learned: there is no one in this life without a need. Some people's needs are greater than other's, and some people are more aware of their needs more than other's, but everyone I have ever met has a fundamental neediness. And that fundamental neediness does not fade with material success - if anything, material success only exacerbates the problem.

I just finished reading Nikki Sixx's The Heroine Diaries, and it confirmed everything I've been thinking. It also convinced me that it isn't enough to talk with my friends about my concern for you, or to merely pray (though I am a strong believer in the power of prayer). I must give action to my care and concern for you. Writing seems to be the only action I can take, and so here I am.
In the days ahead, I will be pouring out my heart-felt thoughts on various theological and philosophical issues, along with a good dose of hope and comfort to those who are hurting and lonely behind their haute couture and the doors of their beautiful mansions.

But for now, I just want you to know someone cares and someone is praying for you. And if you are unknown to me, you are not unknown to God. As cliched as it may sound in your ears: Jesus loves you. All the hypocrites in the world and all the bad publicity and poor representation He has received down through the years cannot change that one fact. To those who have been wounded or neglected by those professing to be Christians, please accept my humblest and sincerest apologies.

A couple more items before I sign off. I am disabling/hiding the comment panel for my blog entries. I am not afraid of being questioned or starting a discussion, but, if this blog becomes what I hope, I don't want the distraction of people pretending to be Brad Pitt, Robert Pattinson, Jennifer Aniston, Ozzy Osbourne, Nikki Sixx, Courtney Love, Angelina Jolie, Rhianna, and who knows who else. I also debated putting my picture to this blog or filling out my profile to any extent, because this blog isn't about me. In the end, I decided, somewhat reluctantly, that I want to be as open as I can - I don't want people saying I'm afraid to own what I write.

Last of all, if you believe in this blog, please subscribe and forward it to your friends, asking them to forward it to their friends. Maybe, just maybe, it will wind up where I am praying and wishing it will. If not, perhaps it will touch the heart of one of us "regular joes." If I can help somebody, anybody, in this life, then my life will have been worthwhile.
God be with you until the next blog.
Pastor Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment